Sunday, May 8, 2011

Thanks to the village!

I love being a mom and there are a million reasons why, but I was reminded of one this week: I love being able to watch my girls express their sense of wonder and imagination on a daily basis. I never know what they are going to do or say, which sometimes can be a scary thing! Most of the time, however, they serve to remind me of what's important and what deserves my attention.

It caught my attention that my youngest daughter has been making a collection of used name tags after our faith community gatherings each week. I'm still not sure why she does this, but she keeps the name tags posted on the car door next to her (trust me, I've asked her). I want to make all kinds of theological assumptions like...her faith community is a source of love and acceptance that she takes with her, she knows she's part of another family, etc. (I wonder where she gets her imagination!). While these may have some truth in them, I think all my daughter knows is that she loves and is loved by these people represented on her car door. I guess that's why I can't bring myself to take them down.

Part of being a mom is encouraging our children to be loved and nurtured by others. While we want to be all things to them, that is just not possible. I am so thankful that my children have been "mothered" by a variety of people as we have moved from place to place in the past several years. I am thankful for LeAnn, Rachel, Robert, Alicia, Clayton, Anna, Wade, Courtney, Brittany, Candice, Eleanor, Nancy, Milton, and the list goes on...women, men, teachers, friends, grandparents, and ministers. I am grateful that my children have experienced God's love and care in a variety of ways through a variety of people. They say it takes a village, and I believe it does - thank you, village - Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment